April 2, 2017
Accelerate – Serve (Part 2)
Text: John 15:5-8 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.”
1. Serving Requires Patience
- Colossians 1:10-11 “So that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience.”
- 2 Corinthians 12:12 “The signs of a true apostle were performed among you with utmost patience, with signs and wonders and mighty works.”
- “It takes 9 days to grow an onion and 100 years to grow an oak tree!”
- Galatians 6:9-10 “Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.”
2. Serving Requires Kindness
- Galatians 5:22-23 “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self control; against such things there is no law.”
- Proverbs 19:17 “Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will reward them for what they have done.”
- 1 Corinthians 13:2 “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.”
3. Serving Requires Perseverance
- Hebrews 6:10 “For God is not unjust so as to overlook your work and the love that you have shown for his name in serving the saints, as you still do.”
- “The constant dripping of the water eventually wears a hole in the rock.”
- James 1:12 “Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.”
4. Serving Is Fruitful for You!
- Serving Produces:
- Feeds Your Soul
- It’s Contagious
- Matthew 20:28 “Even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
- Acts 20:35 “In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.'”
- 1 Corinthians 10:24 “No one should seek their own good, but the good of others.”
- Philippians 2:4 “Not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.”
5. Serving Is Fruitful for the Church!
- Galatians 5:13 “You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.”
- 1 Corinthians 3:6-9 “I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth. He who plants and he who waters are one, and each will receive his wages according to his labor. For we are God’s fellow workers. You are God’s field, God’s building.”
6. Serving Is Fruitful for Our Community!
- In our community we have the opportunity to do several things:
- Show the love of Christ through love, and compassion.
- Share the message of salvation with them.
- Show them that the “church is a loving and caring community and that we are not inwardly focused-but outwardly focused.
- That we care deeply about the well-being of our community.